Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Packing Nightmare is nigh!

The trip is merely two weeks away, and my excitement is definitely got a bit of nervousness now added to it. Only today (well, Monday the 1st) did I start studying Japanese for the first time this summer, and even that wasn't much. Just a bit of kanji practice, and only about a chapter of practicing writing them. I really really need to go over my grammar and vocabulary (or lack thereof) since I'll be promptly taking a test to determine which level of Japanese I'll get into at Waseda. I've always prided myself on doing fairly well with Japanese, but I'm thinking this lack of study is gonna hit me hard once I arrive. I guess I'll find out the hard way, blech.

Other than that, my preparations are... going. That's about all they're doing. I got my luggage (though I need to clean out my backpack), but I still need to pick up various items sometime soon. This is where my anal retentive streak comes in and I can't really decide how much of or what to bring. I want to be able to bring enough of something I might not get in the United States (I'm not exactly Japanese-sized, in pretty much ALL aspects except perhaps height), but I also need to worry about weight limit since they basically take your right arm and your first born child if you go over that limit.

I feel infinitely unprepared, and though my procrastination is usually subsided by the excitement of something I'm very hyped up for, it seems to be stubborn and persistent on staying with me right now.

I'm going to be working a lot this week (comparatively, anyway) which means that it'll probably go by faster, but I'm not sure whether that's good or not. I'm pretty sure the solution to my problem is to go drown myself in the wonderful world of Harry Dresden!

P.S. I like how, for the last 4 months, I've posted only once a month. I promise this won't become a trend once I actually land in Tokyo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the "they basically take your right arm and your first born child"- it's so true!

This is of course not very much help, but I recommend that you bring as much as you can and operate under the principle "yes, I can buy it when I get there, but it will undoubtedly cost twice as much."

I wish I had done that.

Don't forget to email me when you're ready to meet up for coffee!

Anonymous said...

Update moar. :)

And good luck in Tokyo. This is a weird place. Luckily, Cowgirl is a very lovely individual. Welcome to the League.