Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fashion woes. Or something.

tIs everyone in this country either going to/coming from a party or work, or is it just me? I pose this question, because it's basically how everyone dresses. It's either business attire or very "hip", stylish clothing (with the exception being, of course, otaku who don't give a shit and the people who look like they are going to a convention, in their crazy lolita wear and whatnot).

Back in Portland, people are pretty free-spirited and laid-back. I come from a part of America that's not very huge or very small, so you WILL see people dressed relatively fashionably, but the vast majority of people are in pretty damn casual clothing. Most of the time, I'd just wear jeans and a t-shirt. If I felt like being a bit fancier, maybe jeans and a button-up t-shirt, and if I felt I wanted to go a little bit further, I'd add some nice-looking flats to that. Pretty casual.

Here, though... I feel like I need to wear my best clothes every damn day to fit in. This is difficult when you are coming from another country, can only pack so much, and thus your wardrobe is quite limited. I don't know about you, but I hate looking like I wore the same thing a couple days ago.

The other side to this problem is that I am too big for Japan, even if I wanted to buy clothing. My chest is too big, my feet are too big, I am too big. Not to mention, clothes are expensive as all hell, as with everything else in this city. (BOOKS. ENGLISH BOOKS ARE WAY TOO GOD DAMN EXPENSIVE. ... Sorry, that's been bothering me all day.)

I think I'm done ranting about clothes for now, but I will leave you with one more thought:
I. Hate. Rush. Hour.

Apparently Ikebukuro is NOT a place you want to travel through if you want to like... breath. Every morning my train has to go through Ikebukuro to get to my transfer station, and it's hell. I am pretty sure I was touching at least 5 other people, simply because everyone was so god damn squashed together. I guess I can see why some guys get a kick out of it, having their crotch pressed against someone else... but personally, it's just a tad bit uncomfortable. Especially since I've gotten the "ohmygod a gaijin at rush hour, what's she going to do?! Is she going to faint?!" stare several times so far. Plus, I get probably 10 minutes added to my trip just from the door taking forever to close because everyone is so squished that it takes the people at the door a while to get themselves back enough for the door to be able to close. Ugh.

That's enough of my ranting for tonight... soon to come: complaining about school!

2 comments:

Green-Eyed Geisha said...

Tokyo is a cosmopolitan city so it's kind of a given people dress up (especially when compared to west coast USA) but if you're not into that kind of thing don't change! Wouldn't it be more uncomfortable wearing something you don't want to? Granted however, most women's idea of business attire here includes at least one sparkly item.
#2 Go to Blue Parrot books by Takadanobaba station (I assume you pass there on your way to school). Mountains of used English books abound!

Anonymous said...

LOL, I commute through Ikebukuro as well. Utter hell, that place is. And even more "fun" when someone decides to off themselves using the trains, throwing the whole schedule off.